Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau (2011) Review

Here’s a movie that makes an attempt to be original and entertaining without being laden with major special effects and characters that you can’t relate to. Inception anyone?  Don’t worry this isn’t another review about Christopher Nolan’s “masterpiece”. As mentioned in the title, I’m going to talk about the 2011 action-thriller that stars Matt Damon and Emily Blunt.
 On the brink of winning a seat in the U.S. Senate, ambitious politician David Norris (Damon) meets beautiful contemporary ballet dancer Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt)-a woman like none he's ever known. But just as he realizes he's falling for her, mysterious men conspire to keep the two apart. David learns he is up against the agents of Fate itself-the men of The Adjustment Bureau-who will do everything in their considerable power to prevent David and Elise from being together. In the face of overwhelming odds, he must either let her go and accept a predetermined path...or risk everything to defy fate and be with her.

The movie is based upon a short story called “Adjustment Team” by Philip K. Dick (who also wrote Blade Runner, Total Recall) and is written and directed sharply by George Nolfi.

I must say I enjoyed this movie. I thought it was as original as it was entertaining and I found myself really rooting for the main characters even though the villains appear to be from heaven. Besides who doesn’t want to look at Emily Blunt?

The best character is an adjuster named Thompson aka “The Hammer”. He’s played by Terrence Stamp in one of his best roles in a very long time. He is the main adjuster sent in to break up the romance between David and Elise and of all the performances his was the most riveting

One thing that did bother me was the opening. It’s so abrupt that for a moment I thought a reel might have been missing.

So, like I said I enjoyed seeing it at least once. I probably wouldn’t pay to see it in the theatre again but I’ll
definitely look for it when it comes out on DVD.
 
★★1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment