Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sidney Lumet

One of the last great directors, Sidney Lumet died last Saturday. He was 86. I feel that he was worthy of a blog post as one of my own personal favorite directors and a huge influence on me and a major reason why I want to be a director.

There really isn't much that can be said about him that hasn't already been said by anyone else but I'm going to make an attempt.

With a career spanning half a century and such films as Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, 12 Angry Men and Before The Devil Knows You're Dead few directors were always so respectful of an audience's intelligence. He was so wide-ranged that he could not be put into any category.

Much like Robert Altman and Alfred Hitchcock he is in a special class of directors who never received an Academy Award despite being nominated several times and being highly respected in the film industry and around the world. Fortunately his films and his genius will continue to live on in other filmmakers and his films will continue to be talked about and revered for years and years. You mark my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment