Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How I Review


I am not going to review something according to other people's tastes. For example a good friend of mine truly enjoyed Anchorman: the Legend of Ron Burgundy. That remains as the only film in the history of my life I have ever walked out on. He tells me that I can't be a good critic because I don't go along with the rest of earth's moviegoers. Are you kidding? Should I be ashamed for not agreeing? No because I've always been proud of my critical eyes. When I find a film I love there is nothing I enjoy more than giving it praise.

So what do I look for? First of all I look for an emotional connection. If it's a comedy I expect to laugh, if it's a drama I expect to want things to work out for the characters, if it's a horror I expect to be scared. As far as I am concerned when you have a comedy that doesn't make me laugh, you have a failed comedy. Same thing with horror and being scared. However if you have a drama that doesn't make me cry you don't exactly have a failed drama. Perhaps they weren't going for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment