Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Black Swan (2010) Review

Nina (Natalie Portman) is a ballerina in the New York City ballet company whose life, like all those in her profession, is completely consumed with dance. She lives with her obsessive and controlling former ballerina mother Erica (Barbara Hershey). When artistic director Thomas Leroy (Vincent Cassel) decides to replace prima ballerina Beth MacIntyre (Winona Ryder) for the opening production of their new season, Swan Lake. Nina is his first choice for the coveted role of the Swan Queen. But Nina has competition: a new dancer named Lily (Mila Kunis). Leroy's vision for Swan Lake requires a dancer who can play both the White Swan with innocence and grace, and the Black Swan, who represents guile and sensuality. Nina fits the White Swan role perfectly while Lily is the personification of the Black Swan. As the two young dancers expand their rivalry into a twisted friendship, Nina begins to get more in touch with her dark side and slowly descends into madness as she becomes the Black Swan.

This movie was fantastic. It had excellent cinematography, acting, direction, score, costumes, etc. I think it's fantastic what director Darren Aronofsky and Natalie Portman have done but I hated watching it.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. It's just that this movie has provided for a very uncomfortable movie going experience for me that I haven't had in quite some time.  The story is not meant to give one that happy-let's-go-hug-a-bunny feeling that we get from the Disney/Pixar films. It's a visceral look at obsession and the dark places performers go when they completely become their roles. It's meant to make you uncomfortable and get under your skin. In that respect it succeeds.

My favorite performance of the year goes to someone that I normally am not a big fan of. Without any hesitation I predict Portman will win Best Actress and deservedly so.

I love the musical score in the film so much so that I went out after the movie and tried to buy the soundtrack but alas I could not find it.  Composer Clint Mansell takes from Tchaikovsky's original ballet music and turns it on it's head by playing it backwards and slightly distorted.

As a critic I have nothing but admiration for the film's craftsmanship but as an audience member my stomach was in knots.

★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment