Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Oscars...

At the request of my sister I'm going to do something a bit different and post a blog about the oscars

I'm going to talk about my predictions for this year and what I think of the actual nominees and categories but it won't be so much a review of the movies
Why is there so much prestige for some categories rather than others? Best Actor is always a higher honor than Best Supporting Actor or even Best Actress...You can only give a loud (not in terms of volume but in terms of what transformation the individual made) performance unless you have a more stoic anchor that might be provided by a supporting person (Would Geoffrey Rush be able to do what he did for "Shine" without Lynn Redgrave?).  I've played that quiet part on stage many times and it so often gets no notice...

Since last year Best Picture has been extended to ten slots from five...It's great that the academy is willing to give animated films and foriegn films a better chance at winning but, let's face it. The major contenders are still only two or three films anyway. For example this year I'm going to say it's between True Grit, The King's Speech and The Social Network with a high possibility of going to The King's Speech. Best Picture has always been the most prestigious award given but there are many movies that just plain don't deserve it (Crash over Brokeback Mountain? Are you kidding me?)

Maybe someday I'll win an oscar

No comments:

Post a Comment